Friday, September 29, 2006

Traffic now

Chennai's traffic is awful. Some guys keep honking their horns, without knowing what they are honking for. It's a real task to keep your cool and ride a bike in these roads. Thanks to the autorickshaw drivers, we get a free
'Patience Test'. Fellow bikers ride their bikes like 'professional killers', looking for the perfect chance to murder us. You can feel your pulse getting back normal, once you get off the road and off your bike. No wonder they say 'No place like home', literally.

Joe, think this blog's gonna be run by a two men army... :-)
Probably big shots like rafi and ganesh haven't checked out my invites.
Once becoming a member, I think you should be able to post messages directly ,instead of comments.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 AM , Blogger Joe said...

Absolutely right, man. I'm a bit scared to ride my bike in Chennai. I got it serviced last wknd and then I rode it to Besant nagar church on Sunday evening & to Satyam on Monday night. On the weekdays, I use the Wipro shuttle buses to commute, so no issues. But some of our bus drivers are quite rash and I experience the "near-death-experience" now and then. The 7.45pm shuttle I used to take, had the best driver of the lot! He honks twice threatening the vehicles ahead of him to give way and if not, he gets so close to the vehicle that there wudnt be 2,3 inches gap between them. "Respect the bigger vehicle" is the mantra he wants every1 else to learn! Last year a wipro employee was killed thanks to the rash driving skills of a Bangalore Wipro bus driver. Ironically, these drivers have a long list of safety rules to abide by.

A friend of mine in Tokyo who is into IC chips export business, asked me if I can give him leads on installing traffic signal related equipments in India. Apart from expanding his business, he also felt it wud be nice to reduce the number of deaths in road accidents in India. I replied that even if he installed a signal in every street, the casualty rate wud still be the same, bcos Indians havent learnt to obey the traffic rules and it may take another century see the same discipline of ppl in Singapore or Japan. You can see signals working round the clock in Japan, people following it even after midnight, even if there are no other vehicles passing thru the intersection. Out here they put barricades in a horrible fashion, ppl are more likely to dash into it.

I thought buying a car wud put me in a safer situation but Tony's friend proved me wrong. Two weeks ago, his car was damaged by a drunk autodriver, luckily his insurance company covered 40k of the repair cost, he ended up paying 10k for no fault of his!

Abt posting my own entry, I'm really not sure if that's possible.

Enjoy the long weekend!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home